NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. VALID IN THE 50 UNITED STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ONLY. ENTRY IN THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
The Norbert: What Can Little YOU Do? Call for Entries (the “Contest”) is designed to encourage eligible U.S. citizens or residents (“Entrant(s)” or (“You”) to submit a story of 300 words or less accompanied by a two-dimensional piece of art or photo that answers the questions: 1. What is special about you? 2. What things do you love to do? 3. How do you make other people smile just by being yourself? Judges will choose the winning entries in accordance with these Official Rules (the “Rules”).
1. BINDING AGREEMENT: In order to enter the Contest, you must agree to the Rules. Therefore, please read these Rules prior to entry to ensure you understand and agree. You agree that submission of an entry in the Contest constitutes agreement to these Rules. You may not submit an entry to the Contest and are not eligible to receive the prizes described in these Rules unless you agree to these Rules. These Rules form a binding legal agreement between you and Polly Parker Press, LLC with respect to the Contest.
2. ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible to enter the Contest, an Entrant must: (a) be a U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. legal resident (i.e. must be able to show proof of legal permanent residence, for example, a “green card”); (b) if under the age of 18, have obtained a parent’s or legal guardian’s prior permission. Minors who enter must have the written consent of a parent or legal guardian in order to be eligible to receive any prizes, as described in Section 8 of these Rules. Contest is void in Puerto Rico, U.S. territories and possessions, outside of the U.S., and where prohibited by law.
3. SPONSOR: The Contest is sponsored by Polly Parker Press, LLC (“Polly Parker Press” or “Sponsor”), a Massachusetts corporation with principal place of business at 4 Cranberry Road, Carver, MA 02330.
4. CONTEST PERIOD: The Contest begins on March 15, 2014 12pm Eastern Time (ET) Zone in the United States and ends on May 5th, 2014, 11:59 Eastern Time (ET) Zone (“Contest Period”). All dates are subject to change.
5. HOW TO ENTER: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. To enter the Contest online, visit the Contest website located at www.TeamNorbert.com (“Contest Site”) during the Contest Period and follow the instructions that appear under “How to Enter.” You will be emailed a link to download and complete a two-page official entry form (“Entry Form”) with: (a) your original story of 300 words or less (b) all information at the top of the Entry Form including parents consent if applicable; and (c) a supporting piece of original two-dimensional artwork or original photograph. Entry Forms for minors can only be submitted by parents, guardians, and teachers on behalf of Entrants with the written permission of a parent or guardian. The story and supporting artwork or photo must meet the “Entry Requirements,” described below.
Once the Entry Form is fully completed, it must be signed by a parent/legal guardian if applicable. The completed Entry Form with story and image must be submitted as a hard copy by postal mail.
The entry artwork or photograph can be no larger than 8.5 inches by 11 inches and should not be folded. To submit the entry in hard-copy form, the entry must be mailed in an envelope with proper postage affixed, to the following mailing addresses:
For Regular U.S. Mail:
Polly Parker Press
Attn: Call for Entries
P.O. Box 34
South Carver, MA 02366
Entries received without a completed Entry Form or without a parent’s or legal guardian’s signature will be disqualified. All entries become the property of Polly Parker Press LLC, inclusive of permission to print, publish, and distribute. Entires will not be returned.
To request the Official Entry Form by postal mail, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
Polly Parker Press
Attn: Entry Form Request
P.O. Box 34
South Carver, MA 02366
LIMIT ONE (1) ENTRY PER ENTRANT. Subsequent entries will be disqualified. To be considered for the Contest, entries must be: (i) complete (as determined by Polly Parker Press); (ii) received by May 5th, 2014 11:59 Eastern Time (ET); and (iii) in English (unless otherwise specified). Machine or computer-generated mass entries will be disqualified. Any submission not meeting the aforementioned criteria will be disqualified. Polly Parker Press accepts no responsibility for submissions lost, delayed, damaged, defaced, or mislaid, howsoever caused. Proof of mailing does not constitute proof of entry. All entries will be deemed made by the Entrant submitted at the time of entry.
6. ENTRY REQUIREMENTS. The story and supporting artwork or photo must meet the following criteria (“Entry Requirements”):
- The entries must be child-appropriate. They must not be derogatory, offensive, threatening, defamatory, disparaging, libellous or contain any content that is inappropriate, indecent, sexual, profane, torturous, slanderous, discriminatory in any way, or that promotes hatred or harm against any group or person, or otherwise does not comply with the theme and spirit of the Contest.
- They must not contain content, material or any element that is unlawful, or otherwise in violation of or contrary to all applicable federal, state, or local laws and regulation including the laws or regulations in any state where the Entry and supporting statement are created.
- They must not contain any content, material or element that displays any third party advertising, slogan, logo, trademark or otherwise indicates a sponsorship or endorsement by a third party, commercial entity or that is not within the spirit of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion.
- They must be original, unpublished works that do not contain, incorporate or otherwise use any content, material or element that is owned by a third party or entity.
- They cannot contain any content, element, or material that violates a third party’s publicity, privacy or intellectual property rights.
- The Entry is not the subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim.
- The Entrant does not include any disparaging remarks relating to the Sponsor or a third party.
- The Entry is two-dimensional. The hard copy entry is no larger than 8.5 inches by 11 inches and should not be folded.
During the Contest Period, the Sponsor, its agents and/or the Judges (defined below) will be evaluating the Entries to ensure that they meet the Contest Requirements. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any Entrant who submits an Entry and supporting artwork or photo that does not meet the Contest Requirements. Incomplete entries or entries not complying with these Rules are subject to disqualification. Finalists may be contacted for further verification and permissions.
7. JUDGING: Each Entry will be evaluated based on the following “Criteria”: (i) creativity and originality - considering the representation of the three Contest questions, and use of the artwork or photo to support the story (ii) theme communication: how well the response to questions is expressed in writing and image (iii) appropriateness: the story and image must be appropriate for children (iv) image quality for reproduction purposes (v) adherence to the Entry Requirements and these Rules.
At times during the Contest, Polly Parker Press may contact an Entrant via email if additional information is needed. By entering, all participants agree to receive emails from Polly Parker Press.
Decisions of the judges are final and binding. In the event there are not enough eligible entries, not all prizes will be awarded. If a potential winner is unable for whatever reason to accept his or her prize, then Polly Parker Press reserves the right to award the prize to another entrant.
Notification of Winners: Becoming a winner is subject to validation and verification of eligibility and compliance with all the terms and conditions set forth in these Rules. The winners will be selected and notified by telephone and/or email, at Sponsor’s discretion. If a potential winner does not respond to the notification attempt within three (3) days from the first notification attempt, then such potential winner may be disqualified and an alternate potential winner will be selected from among all eligible entries received. With respect to notification by telephone, such notification will be deemed given when the potential winner over age 18 or potential winner’s parent or guardian, if winner is under age 18, engages in a live conversation with Sponsor or when a message is left on the potential winner’s voicemail service or answering machine by the Sponsor, whichever occurs first. Except where prohibited by law, each potential winner may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability and Publicity Release and provide any additional information that may be required by Sponsor. If required, potential winners must return all such required documents via fax (or as otherwise instructed) within forty-eight (48) hours and via U.S. Mail within seven (7) days following attempted notification or such potential winner will be deemed to have forfeited the prize and another potential winner may be selected based on the judging Criteria described herein. In the event the potential winner is a minor, his or her parent or legal guardian must sign the documents and return them as described herein. All notification requirements, as well as other requirements within these Rules, will be strictly enforced. Determinations of Judges are final and binding.
All winners, including their parent representatives, agree to keep the written entry story and artwork or photo confidential between submission and the Norbert: What Can Little YOU Do? final book launch, anticipated in February 2015.
8. PRIZES: The Grand Prize Winners will have part or all of their original story and/or artwork or photo appear in some format, at the discretion of the Judges, in the children’s Picture Book, Norbert: What Can Little YOU Do? A minimum of three Grand Prize winners will be awarded. Finalists may have work published in some format in digital form.
No transfer, substitution or cash equivalent for prizes is allowed, except at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize, in whole or in part, of equal or greater monetary value if a prize cannot be awarded, in whole or in part, as described for any reason. Value is subject to market conditions, which can fluctuate and any difference between actual market value and actual retail value will not be awarded. The prize(s) may be subject to restrictions and/or licenses and may require additional hardware, software, service, or maintenance to use. The winner shall bear all responsibility for use of the prize(s) in compliance with any conditions imposed by such manufacturer(s), and any additional costs associated with its use, service, or maintenance. Sponsor has not made and is not responsible in any manner for any warranties, representations, or guarantees, express or implied, in fact or law, relating to the prize(s), regarding the use, value or enjoyment of the prize(s), including, without limitation, its quality, mechanical condition, merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose, with the exception of any standard manufacturer's warranty that may apply to the prize or any components thereto.
9. GENERAL CONDITIONS: All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Polly Parker Press reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant from the Contest if, in Polly Parker Press’s sole discretion, it reasonably believes that the Entrant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices or annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other entrants, Polly Parker Press, or the Judges.
10. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS: As between Polly Parker Press and the Entrant, the Entrant retains ownership of all intellectual and industrial property rights (including moral rights) in and to the story, artwork and/or photo. As a condition of entry, Entrant grants Polly Parker Press a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, transferable, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, adapt, modify, publish, distribute, publicly perform, create a derivative work from, and publicly display the story, artwork and/or photo and the inventions depicted therein for any purpose, including display on the Polly Parker Press company websites and social media, publications, ebooks, apps, or videos without any attribution or compensation to Entrant. Entries will not be returned. Polly Parker Press retains all rights in the Polly Parker Press products and services and entry into this Contest will in no case serve to transfer any Polly Parker Press intellectual property rights to the Entrant.
11. PRIVACY: Entrants agree and acknowledge that personal data submitted with an entry, including name, mailing address, phone number, and email address may be collected, processed, stored and otherwise used by Polly Parker Press and its affiliates for the purposes of conducting and administering the Contest. Individuals submitting personal information in connection with the Contest have the right to request access, review, rectification or deletion of any personal data held by Polly Parker Press, LLC in connection with the Contest by writing to Polly Parker Press, LLC at the following address: Privacy Matters, c/o Polly Parker Press, LLC, P.O. Box 34 South Carver, MA 02366. By submitting your email address, you agree to receive news and updates via email from Polly Parker Press.
12. PUBLICITY By entering the Contest, Entrants agree to participate in any media or promotional activity resulting from the Contest as reasonably requested by Polly Parker Press at Polly Parker Press’s expense and agree and consent to use of their name and/or likeness by Polly Parker Press. Polly Parker Press will contact Entrants in advance of any Polly Parker Press-sponsored media request for interviews.
The stories, artwork and/or photos may also be used for press and media purposes and Entrant agrees to waive any rights and not assert any intellectual property rights that Entrant has or may have in the stories, artwork and/or photos. Polly Parker Press reserves the right to publish the name and likeness of the Entrants, and the Grand Prize Winners on the Contest and/or Polly Parker Press company website or through other media for publicity purposes.
13. WARRANTY AND INDEMNITY: Entrants warrant that their stories, artwork and/or photos are their own original work and, as such, they are the sole and exclusive owner and rights holder of the submitted stories, artwork and/or photos and that they have the right to submit the stories, artwork and/or photos in the Contest and grant all required licenses. Each Entrant agrees not to submit any stories, artwork and/or photos that: (a) infringes any third party proprietary rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, personal or moral rights or any other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, trade names, industrial designs, patent, trade secret, privacy, publicity or confidentiality obligations; or (b) otherwise violates applicable state, federal, or local law.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, Entrant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified Sponsor at all times from and against any liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses resulting from any act, default or omission of the Entrant and/or a breach of any warranty set forth herein. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Entrant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor from and against any and all claims, actions, suits or proceedings, as well as any and all losses, liabilities, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys fees) arising out of or accruing from: (i) any stories, artwork and/or photos or other material submitted or otherwise provided by Entrant that infringes any copyright, trademark, trade secret, trade dress, patent or other intellectual property right of any person or defames any person or violates their rights of publicity or privacy; (ii) any misrepresentation made by Entrant in connection with the Contest; (iii) any non-compliance by Entrant with these Rules; (iv) claims brought by persons or entities other than the parties to these Rules arising from or related to Entrant’s involvement with the Contest; (v) acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in any Contest-related activity or participation in the Contest; (vi) any malfunction or other problem with the Contest Site in relation to the entry and participation in the Contest by Entrant; (vii) any error in the collection, processing, or retention of entry information in relation to the entry and participation in the Contest by Entrant; or (viii) any typographical or other error in the printing, offering or announcement of any prize or winners in relation to the entry and participation in the Contest by Entrant.
14. ELIMINATION. Any false information provided within the context of the Contest by Entrant concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, email address, ownership of right or non-compliance with these Rules or the like may result in the immediate elimination of the entrant from the Contest.
15. INTERNET AND DISCLAIMER. Polly Parker Press is not responsible for any malfunction of the entire Contest Site or any late, lost, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, undeliverable, or destroyed stories, artwork and/or photos due to system errors, failed, incomplete or garbled computer or other telecommunication transmission malfunctions, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, typographical or system/human errors and failures, technical malfunction(s) of any telephone network or lines, cable connections, satellite transmissions, servers or providers, or computer equipment, traffic congestion on the Internet or at the Contest Site, or any combination thereof, including other telecommunication, cable, digital or satellite malfunctions which may limit Entrant’s/consumer’s ability to participate/vote respectively. Polly Parker Press is not responsible for the policies, actions, or inactions of others, which might prevent Entrant from entering, participating, and/or claiming a prize in this Contest. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Rules will not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify Entrants who violate the rules or interfere with this Contest in any manner. If an Entrant is disqualified, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate that Entrant’s eligibility to participate in the Contest.
16. RIGHT TO CANCEL, MODIFY OR DISQUALIFY. If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest, Polly Parker Press reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Polly Parker Press further reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant who tampers with the submission process or any other part of the Contest or Contest Site. Any attempt by an Entrant to deliberately damage any web site, including the Contest Site, or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Polly Parker Press reserves the right to seek damages from any such Entrant to the fullest extent of the applicable law.
17. NOT AN OFFER OR CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT Under no circumstances shall the submission of stories, artwork and/or photos into the Contest, the awarding of a prize, or anything in these Rules be construed as an offer or contract of employment with either Polly Parker Press, or the Contest Entities. Entrants acknowledge that they submitted their stories, artwork and/or photos voluntarily and not in confidence or in trust. Entrants acknowledge that no confidential, fiduciary, agency or other relationship or implied-in-fact contract now exists between Entrant and Polly Parker Press or the Contest Entities and that no such relationship is established by Entrant’s submission of a stories, artwork and/or photos under these Rules.
18. FORUM AND RECOURSE TO JUDICIAL PROCEDURES: These Rules shall be governed by, subject to, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Massachusetts, United States of America, excluding all conflict of law rules. If any provision(s) of these Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect. To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, seek injunctive relief or make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this Contest are hereby excluded, and Entrants expressly waive any and all such rights.
19. ARBITRATION: By entering the Contest, you agree that exclusive jurisdiction for any dispute, claim, or demand related in any way to the Contest will be decided by binding arbitration. All disputes between you and Polly Parker Press of whatsoever kind or nature arising out of these Rules, shall be submitted to Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services, Inc. (“JAMS”) for binding arbitration under its rules then in effect in the Boston, Massachusetts, USA area, before one arbitrator to be mutually agreed upon by both parties. The parties agree to share equally in the arbitration costs incurred.
20. WINNER’S LIST: You may request a list of winners after May 20th, 2014 by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
Polly Parker Press
Attn: Call For Entries Winners List
P.O. Box 34
South Carver, MA 02366
Winners will be announced on May 20, 2014. The winners will be posted on the contest site (www.TeamNorbert.com), on the Polly Parker Press Facebook Page (www.Facebook.com/PollyParkerPress) and notified individually via email and/or phone.